We asked DJ Bob Rodrigue, aka Old Man River of New Orleans’ fabulous WWOZ radio station, for his Nola playlist. Given the city’s unique musical heritage it was quite a task selecting just 10 tracks, but the selection gives a real taste of the Crescent City
As featured in our New Orleans city guide
1. No list of Nola music could be complete without Pops telling you what a wonderful world it is.
2. Kermit Ruffins lists the many things that define New Orleans take notes while listening to this one. Bashiggitdy!
3. Keep your pen handy as the bard of Nola, Allen Toussaint, explains a simple way to have an exceptional lunch with a shrimp po-boy and a bottle of beer.
4. New Orleans’ Radiators explain in a funky way the art of eating crawfish. Suck the head!
5. If you are not familiar with the Meters, this is one of the most sampled bands of all of the music that created the Nola funk sound and blazed the trail for many to come. This cut is from 1969.
6. Twerking is now a worldwide craze but it started here in Nola in 1993 and DJ Jubilee was one of the pioneers of bounce music which gave birth to twerking.
7. This band started in 1994 as Galactic Prophylactic and quickly became one of the country’s stalwarts of the Jam Band scene. This song takes you to the streets of Nola.
8. The New Orleans standard in its original version from one of the early hit-makers, Lee Dorsey.
9. Dr John paints a great picture and sends you a personal invitation to Nola, and reminds you that dreams come true in New Orleans.
10. We end the list with recent Grammy winners the Re-Birth Brass Band laying down our basic philosophy, "DO WHATCHA WANNA"!