For those who find loungers loathsome and beach bars boring, these spots offer only waves, wind, wilderness and beauty
- 12 beaches with wow factor
- Five of the best UK beaches
- Best beaches for action and activities
- 10 great European beaches for families
You could almost pick any beach off the ocean side of Vancouver Island, but Chesterman has the edge. It’s the kind of place where you might see kids pedalling along barefoot with a surfboard under one arm. With a bit of luck, and keen eyesight, you might spot orcas out beyond the breakers. Easier to find is the Carving Shed, where local craftsmen turn out exquisite sculptures and traditional canoes. At low tide a sandspit, the Tombolo, gets you out to Frank Island, with great views back to the beach.
• The Wickaninnish Inn at the north end of the beach is famous, with summer prices to match (from £260). Or Chesterman Beach B&B has a cottage for four from £162 a night in summer